domingo, 6 de octubre de 2013

The birth of Jazz Chants




Carolyn Graham is considered the creator of the jazz chants. She was teaching ESL in New York University during the day and playing piano and singing old jazz in the night. So she realized that this music has a very strong one, two, three and four pitch. One night she was playing in a pub and someone came and told her “cheers, good to see you. You look wonderful!” and she imagined one, two, three, four. Next day in the university she asks for a big empty room and she organized a free lesson for every student who wants to practice the English language with jazz. Jazz chants just born.

Carolyn Graham develops her chants simply by listening. You don´t create anything, you just have to listen to the language all around you. You operate the language that we use every day, nothing fancy or complicated. Natural spoken English with an awareness of the rhythm.

 It has a lot of advantages, one of the big ones is that you can work with any size classroom and you don´t need any equipment, all you need is yourself

It must be real, useful and appropriate language for each age and you can use it with everybody at any level

Formulas for a vocabulary chant:

Step one: Take a topic, for an instance, fruits

Step two: Write down ten words related to the topic

Step three: Separate the words according to the number of sounds (most of the words are going to be one, two or three sounds)

Step four: Follow the sound´s pattern 2 – 3 – 1 by picking from the list one word with 2 sounds, another word with 3 sounds and one more word with 1 sound.

2 sounds: Che-rry

3 sounds: Pine-a-pple

1 sound:  Plum

Start with the chant!

Cherry, pineapple, plum

Cherry, pineapple, plum

Cherry, pineapple

Cherry, pineapple

Cherry, pineapple, plum

With that pattern you can write any chant (animals, food, body parts, etc) and you can add words to the chant, for example:

Purple cherry, yellow pineapple

Purple cherry, yellow pineapple

Purple cherry, yellow pineapple

And violet plum!

And violet plum!

Jazz chants are an innovative way to teach spoken English. At the beginning I thought it was just to teach vocabulary and pronunciation but after this post I realize that  you can also learn grammar and structures creating more complex chants. For example:

May I turn down the air conditioning?

Do you mind if I lower the blind?

Is that alright if I put away this staff?

I don´t mind, I don´t mind, I don´t mind!

Is it alright if I switch off the light?

Do you mind if I close the door?

May I switch off the fun?

Sure, sure, sure!

In this chant the students can learn apart from vocabulary and pronunciation some structures about how to make a question in a very polite way.

May I … ?

Do you mind if … ?

Is that alright if … ?

As you can see, you have to play with the rhythm, that’s why I choose to change the order of the sentence in the second part of the chant

(1) May I turn down the air conditioning?

(2) Do you mind if I lower the blind?

(3) Is it alright if I put away this staff?

I don´t mind, I don´t mind, I don´t mind!

(3) Is it alright if I switch off the light?

(2) Do you mind if I close the door?

(1) May I switch off the fun?
 
Sure, sure, sure!

You can use any content in a jazz chant so you can develop any cross-curricular área.
Here there is a video of an original Carolyn´s chant

11 comentarios:

  1. Hello Edu, you have a nice blog! and the first comment is about Jazz Chants, just like me. The problem is that I cant upload audios and there is no way you can hear my two samples of Jazz chants. It is well explained although I recommend you to use or upload a video which demonstrate of what you are talking about.

    I have a question for you, would you ever use Jazz Chants in the classroom?

    Marina Barrera

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Hi Marina you are right. As you said I tried to upload some audios but I couldn´t manage.
      About your question my answer is definitely YES. For instance, yesterday I was using it with two kids of seven and nine years old. They are brothers and they have almost the same English level so I could work with both the same jazz chant. As we were working on the kitchen´s staff I made a chant with “kettle, microwave and sink”. They had quite more fun than in the traditional way of learning and I think that they won´t forget these words.

      Eliminar
  2. Hello Edu, you have a nice blog! and the first comment is about Jazz Chants, just like me. The problem is that I cant upload audios and there is no way you can hear my two samples of Jazz chants. It is well explained although I recommend you to use or upload a video which demonstrate of what you are talking about.

    I have a question for you, would you ever use Jazz Chants in the classroom?

    Marina Barrera

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Sorry Edu, this is the good Blog! I'm going very crazy!!

      Eliminar
    2. Hi Marina you are right. As you said I tried to upload some audios but I couldn´t manage.
      About your question my answer is definitely YES. For instance, yesterday I was using it with two kids of seven and nine years old. They are brothers and they have almost the same English level so I could work with both the same jazz chant. As we were working on the kitchen´s staff I made a chant with “kettle, microwave and sink”. They had quite more fun than in the traditional way of learning and I think that they won´t forget these words.

      Eliminar
  3. Great post, Edu. It is both clear and informative. Remember that it is always a good idea to include the references of those links you have used to get information about the topic. This will help the reader find more information about the topic. Keep up with the great work!

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Thanks for the feed back Raquel, I will include all the references in the next posts!

      Eliminar
  4. Hi Edu, I love this post, it is very informative and if someone does not know nothing about Jazz chant can learn all that they need to create one. In my opinion, the information is completed with the examples. The Jazz chants are good resources for teachers, they are easy to create and we can use it in any topic, furthermore I think that children learn more with rhythm.
    From my point of view this resource is not known in schools, because it can be very useful in all levels of infant and primary even in E.S.O., like routines or to learn the contents related with different subjects.
    I am going to use Jazz chant in my classes because I think that it is an amazing way to memorize the contents and structures of the curriculum, and not only in English, maybe it is interesting to try it in a Spanish class.

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Hi Patri! Thank you!
      I am in sympathy with your opinión. In fact I´m already creating jazz chants with some of the kids I´m giving private lessons and we are having a lot of fun with a little effort.

      Eliminar
    2. Hello Edu, I'm doing the same thing! The topic is about preposition of places and some vocabulary. The impressive thing is that you can work with Jazz Chants in the different levels and even with adults...

      I can post the lyrics, but I think that I will have to sing it for you:

      Where can we find these objects?
      Where is the mouse?
      Is in the house
      Where is the cat?
      Is taking a bath
      Where is the jacket?
      Is next to the racket
      Where is the door?
      I want some more

      All together now,
      Where can we find these objects?

      Do you like going to the sea?
      I prefer to watch TV
      Do you like going to the zoo?
      I prefer to play with you
      Do you want to dance?
      I prefer English and Maths
      Well, what would you like to do?
      I would like to go to the moon
      Come with me and have some fun

      Indeed, children enjoy it a lot. I have a place in my house which is the kitchen...and I call it the audio studio. They really like it anytime I say Lets go to record at the Audio-studio!!!

      Eliminar
    3. Hajajaja you are a great with jazz chants Marina! I love it and the idea of the audio-studio! I´m going to look for a place at home and créate my own audio-studio!! Thank for the idea Marina!!

      Eliminar